Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Kustom RideZ: Toyota AE86 Corolla

Kustom RideZ

Previously, I did a body restoration of an AE86 into one that is similiar to the Fujiwara Tofu Delivery Car in Initial D. A fellow blogger, scale modeller and friend, Cham, liked it and so he sent me his unit to be customized. Being a plastic car modeller himself, he spotted a few of my mistakes and notified me about it.

This was the condition of the car when I first received it from Cham. It was quite obvious he attempted to do a customization of the AE86 before. ;-)

hauler carrier

So, I set about customizing the car. I used Googled pictures and the manga as references for the car. Also, it involves the usual steps I have mentioned in my Kustom Methods segments. Drilling, paint stripping, painting, detailing and then reassembly. The only thing I want to highlight in this custom is the masking. I sprayed a base coat of white, then proceeded to mask the white bits out before spraying on the black.

For the edges, I used Tamiya Masking tape. It is a brand of masking tape for hobbyists, which is significantly better than industrial/commercial ones as the lines that are masked will turn out razor sharp. You will not get jagged edges like those when you use industrial/commercial ones. The edges are masked with the Tamiya Masking Tape, and the rest are covered with a commercial masking tape.

Photobucket
Photobucket


There were some mistakes with the AE86 in the past, such as unpainted window outlines, unpainted fenders, mistakes on the rear lamps, overly thick fender lines, etc. I hope to have corrected it with this custom. Unfortunately though, towards the end of my custom I kind of rushed it. The paint and gloss coats did not turn out as smooth as I preferred. Sorry Cham!

Finally below, is the picture of the completed car, along with some shot with a Tomica D1 Drift AE86. Enjoy the pics, and do let me know if you have any comments or questions!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Cham has taken some photos after receiving his car, and I photoshopped two of it. He has posted this customization on his blog, go check it out to see his collection and works too! :-)

Photobucket
AE86 Cham PS

6 comments:

benpaul said...

bro how you photoshopped the normal picture to a drifting picture with smoke?? tips?? =D i wana try too!

Melvin said...

Hi, Gee's. How did u get or print the Toufu Japanese word so small? Teach me teach me..

Eugene T. said...

benpaul - hmm, i think i will do a tutorial on photoshopping pictures soon. look out for it :-)

melvin - hello! i got a picture of it on photoshop, then used photoshop to resize it to scale. there will be a tutorial on it soon too. :-)

thanks for your questions and interest! :-D

Fujiwara Takumi said...

Omfg. Everyone knows I am a Initial D fan and this defenately is one of the best custom ID 86 I have ever seen. Keep up the er..(dun know how describe) work!

Fujiwara Takumi said...

One small error: the yellow spotlights?

Eugene T. said...

fujiwara takumi - yup thats right, i didnt have yellow paint so i substituted it with orange instead. good eye, and thanks for your appreciation!