The hauler is done! It is owned by Mutt, whom I previously mentioned was a forumer and friend from LYN. According to the base chassis on this truck, it is first casted in 1992. Since its first appearance in the basic cars line up in 1992, then in 1994 and subsequently in 2002, it has never made it back to the basic cars line up. However, it has been produced under other series, such as last year's Holiday Rods and various 5-Packs.
When Mutt handed me this truck to be customized, I was quite lost as to how to go about customizing it. He didn't give any specific instructions as to how he would like it to be customized, he just simply told me to use my creativity.
Mind you, this was my first time customizing a truck. So I decided to play it a bit on the safe side.
First off, the usual process of drilling off the rivets and paint stripping for the hauler cab. Then the hauler cab is sprayed on a coat of primer. While the paint stripper is used for removing paint, thinner can be used to remove tempo. Just a splash of thinner and a bit of elbow grease helped me remove the tempo on the container. However, try not to scrub too hard or too long, because if you are not careful the plastic will be scrubbed out as well.
Next is selecting the wheels for the truck. I have requested for Mutt to source for the Custom Chevy Super T-Hunt wheels to be used for this truck. I adjusted the axles to suit the truck, and the rims and container were sprayed chrome silver.
While the chrome dried, I proceeded with parts fabrication. Using metal wires, floppy disc and ball point pen ink tubes, I made the exhaust pipes, spot lights and rear lights.
Next, painting the cab. I sprayed two coats of red (one thick and one mist), and then another coat of clear to protect the paint. After the chrome paint dried, I also produced the tempo for the container. I chose red for the cab because it goes well with the Spitfire logo, and the Spitfire logo was chosen because that is Mutt's avatar picture in LYN. :-)
The fabricated parts were painted next, and while it was drying, the chassis, wheels, body and container were glued together. The fabricated parts were glued on thereafter, along with a bit more tempo and detailing. My apologies as I do not have the production photos for these processes as it was late at night and I did not have my phone or camera nearby as I was working on it. :-|
So finally, it is done and the pictures of the final product are below! I took out the previous custom VW Golf and the restored DD to join this photoshoot. :-)